WISHING YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR....
Onion Pakora is my potluck item for the New Year Party. Simple to make and some tips to make it real good. Add a little bit of soda when making for a slightly big number of people.
Onions - Chopped lengthwise
chickpea floor- (Besan, Senagapindi(Telugu))
Curry Leaves- (Kadipatta, Karivepaku(Telugu)
Green Chillies - (depending upon your spice taste)
Red Chilli Powder
Salt to Taste
Soda - (optional, a pinch of it)
Method of Preparation
1. Chop the onions and add salt to it. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
2. Then make the onions seperate by mixing it with hand. (Since we added salt at the first step, the onions will have some water in it).
3. Now add the green chillies, Curry Leaves, red chilli powder. Mix it. Also add besan to it by spreading the floor. (Do not mix more besan). If required add very little water.
4.In the meanwhile take a kadai/pan and pour oil in it. Let the oil become heat.
5. After the oil is hot, then start adding the mixture prepared at step 3 slowly. Spread it in the oil so that the mixture is as thin as possible. This gives crispy as well as good taste to it.
6. The mixture will turn a little brown, then remove it from the oil and put it on a paper towel.
7. Arrange it in a plate or tray and serve hot.
Before serving, spread amchur powder/chat powder on the top pakoras. You can also spread (arrange) the deep fried green chillies and peanuts on top.
Time to cook: Depends on Quantity and varies from 10-15 minutes to 1 hour for large quantities.