This is a very famous, healthy and lovely item of India. I love this item and do it quite often at home. Ofcourse, the mazaa of eating it on the chat place is totally different experiance. Now-a-days they also do serve this as an appetizer at marriages. So here goes the recipe I use.
Pav/Bread - Toasted in butter or Ghee
Pav Bhaji Masala (I love everest masala, but if not available then I use Badshah)
Salt to taste
Red Chilli Powder
Vegetables I used:
Cabbage (Very less)
Green Beans (if possible)
Things to add from top or garnish
Onions Chopped (very small)
Method of preparation
1. Heat all the vegetables in a pressure cooker/ or any other way you like by adding water.
2. Strain the water and keep vegetables aside. (you can save some water for later use in the pav bhaji. The water from which is from this is very healthy, since it has all the healthy content like proteins and vitamins.)
3. Put a bowl or kadai on stove top and add a little oil to it.
4. Add Onions and after they turn golden brown add tomato's to it.
5. Add the Pav bhaji masala, Salt and red chilli powder according to your taste. (Add extra even for the vegetables that you are going to mix). Spices can be adjusted to your taste at any point from here, until you switch off the stove.
6. Add the cooked vegetables to above and mash them with masher.
7. After the ingredients are mixed up well, adjust the spices.
Toasting the bread:
Serve in a plate with a little curd and tamarind chutney on it. Also spread little lime juice and onions and garnish with coriander before serving. Serve with Pav that is toasted with butter or ghee.
Have it when it is hot. It tastes superb.... almost equal to tela taste