Friday, April 16, 2010
Cucumber carrot yogurt dip/chutney
I wanted to take a nice picture but with the camera I have the following is the only picture which was looking good. This item can be accompanied with biryani/fried rice or with normal rice or roti. Tastes good, healthy and natural (mostly). This is my way of doing this chutney, I will mention about the authentic way also after I collect the correct details soon.
cucumber - 1
Carrots - 2
Yogurt - 2 cups
Dahivada raita powder - 1 spoon
Oil - 2 spoons
mustard seeds - 1/2tea spoon
urad dal - depends on the crunchiness you want (may be 1-2 spoons)
Coriander - depends on your taste - 2-3 spoons (optional)
curry leaves - Optional
Green chillies - Optional (chopped very small probably one or two)
asafoetida - a pinch
Method of preparation
1) Peel the skin off of cucumber and grate it to your desired size. Now squeeze out the additional water out of it and take it in a serving bowl.
2) Now add grated carrot and yogurt to it. Mix them well.
3) Add salt if desired or you can add lemon juice and spinach as an alternative to it.
4) Put tadka in a small bowl. Add oil, after heated add mustard seeds. After mustard seeds starts splutter, add green chillies, asafoetida, urad dal, small portion of curry leaves.
5) once urad dal is turning light brown or crunchy turn off heat and add the tadka to the yogurt mixture. Add coriander also to it mix it and serve chilled if needed.
Note: If you feel yogurt mixture is thick or if yogurt is little sour then add milk to it. This will make the thick to thin paste and also compensate the sourness of yogurt with its sweet taste.
Beauty Tip: After you squeeze juice out of cucumber grated. Apply it to your face and leave it on for few minutes and wash away with warm water. This will make your skin look and feel smooth. Frequent apply will result in much better results.