Tomato (Get good red ones) - 8
Red chilli powder - 1 cup (or 1 big sambar spoon ish)
Tamarind - little more than lemon size
Salt - 1 cup and little more
Mustard seeds powder - 1 table spoon
Methi powder - 1 and 1/2 table spoon
Oil - 8 table spoons
Mustard seeds - 1/2 table spoon
Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/2 table spoon
Method of preparation
1) Take a kadai or pan (take wider one) and add couple of spoons of oil. Cut the tomato's into medium sized pieces. Once the oil is heated, add the tomato's to it.
2) Remove the seeds from the tamarind. Now spread the tamarind on the chopped tomatos. Add salt to it.
3) Do not mix it. Once the tomato's are cooked, turn off the heat. Now add the red chilli powder and other powders to it.Mix everything and leave it for couple of minutes.
4) Blend the above mixture. not too pasty but just for couple of seconds.
5) Do the tadka/popu/poNi by taking oil in a small pan, heat it and then add mustard seeds. Once mustard seeds starts spluttering, add the hing to it and turn off heat. Add the tadka and mix well. (Oil should be oozing out a little. )
Note: If you feel that oil is more, then do not worry. Oil, salt and red chilli will be more in the items which needs to last for long time.
This Thokku/pachadi is eaten with white rice or with any other thing.
It can be eaten the instant it is made too. So enjoy it the way you like it.
(Will post some pictures soon).