Friday, March 27, 2009
Kakarakaya with Onion Besan base
Kakarakaya (Bitter melon) - Scraped little bit and Chopped into big chunks
Oil for deep fry as well as for tadka
Jeera (Cumin seeds)
Red chilli powder
Salt to taste
Method of preparation
1. Take a vessel for deep/shallow fry. Add oil to it. Let it heat and then fry bitter melon's until they turn their color to golden brown. Take them out on a plate with paper towel so that extra oil is absorbed.
2. Fry onions with a spoon of oil and grind them to a paste. To this paste add besan salt, red chilli powder and a little tamarind paste. Mix them all to make it a nice thick paste.
3. Add a teaspoon or two of oil and after it is heated, add Jeera to it. Now add the onion besan paste to it. Add enough water/Tamarind paste. Adjust salt and chilli levels according to your taste.
4. Add bitter melon to above. Cover and cook them until you feel that bitter melon has got taste of the paste. (should take appr. from 2- 10 minutes of time, depending on your stove and taste).
5. Garnish with coriander and mix it. Serve hot wit rice.