I love the taste of this simple yet tasty, quick and easy to do item. This can be considered as dal or as a curry. Best combination for this is rice and pachi charu/chintapandu charu.Try it and let me know;
Chana Dal, Toor Dal - 1:1 ratio
Moong dal - just a pistful of it(optional)
Palak/Thotakura (Amaranth leaves)/Chaama kura(Taro leaves) - Chopped
Salt to taste
Cumin seeds (Jeera)
Method of preparation
1. Cook all the three dals until they are just done but not totally mushy or total soft. For example: if you are using pressure cooker, and in general you need 3 whistles for dal to be cooked then for this item, try switching off stove at 2 whistles.
2. Take a kadai and heat oil in it. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
3. Add cumin seeds, green chillies, red chillies, curry leaves asafoetida and at last add the green leafy vegetable you picked (Palak/ amaranth/taro leaves chopped).
4. Wait for two minutes or until the leaf is cooked and then add the cooked dals to it along with turmeric and salt.
5. Add tamarind juice extract (just enough to have a little bit of sour taste, lot of it will make the curry taste sour)
6. Wait for a minute and then add besan to it. The curry will become a little thick at this point. Turn off the stove.
7. Add tadka to the top of it, by heating oil and adding mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, red chillies, curry leaves, urad dal.