Thursday, February 15, 2007

Curry Powder or Kura Podi

Kura Podi or Curry Powder is another one that I liked it from Andhra people. Easy to make and ready to use to add nice taste to a simple curry. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients
Chana Dal
Urad Dal
Red Chillies
Some Coriander seeds
Some Cumin Seeds
Very little Oil


Method of Preparation
Add very little oil to the kadai and let it heat. Add all the ingredients and let it fry for two minutes max.


Let it cool and grind the above. Your Curry powder is ready.

Add this curry powder to a simple vegetable curry to make it more tastier. I generally add it to Capsicum, Okra, Tindora, Bottle gourd curries. But this can be added to lot more.. so experiment yourself.

Note: I am not sure about the ratios but this is what I used.
ChanaDal - 2 cups
Urad Dal - 1 and 1/2 cup
Red Chillies - (you can add it according to your spice level.)I added around more than 1 cup of them.
Coriander Seeds - handful
Cumin Seeds - handful
Oil - 1 tablespoon

3 comments:

FH said...

Hi Shireesha,I love all your powders but without the proportion of each ingredients,I am at a loss!Could you please update with that?Thank you.Hope you had a great day yesterday!:))

Shireesha said...

Thank you asha for the reminder. Actually I do not know exact ratios either. So I added the ratios I used. I think it can be 1:1:1:1/4:1/4 with 1 tablespoon of oil.

Unknown said...

Hi Shireesha and Asha,
Both of you are very much confused with the proportions. You can try with the following proportions.
chana dal-1cup, toor dal-1cup, urad dal-1cup, moong dal-1cup,sesame (til)-1/2cup, fried gram dal-4cups coriander seeds-1/2cup, cumin seeds-1/4cup, red chillies-1/2cup. Fry all these ingredients and let it cool and grind it to powder. You can add this to any curry to make it tasty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails