Monday, June 22, 2009
Easiest recipe for curry puffs. I made this yesterday for my husband as Father's day special. Ofcourse I dont make it from scratch but I use puff pastry sheets, which makes my life very easy to make these tasty puffs.
Pepperridge farm puff pastry sheets
very little maida or roti flour
Garam masala - 1/2 table spoon
chat masala - 1/2 table spoon
Red chilli powder - depends on taste
Salt to taste
Lime/lemon juice - 1 table spoon (optional)
Method of Preparation
Remove the puff pastry sheets from freezer and keep it outside for defrosting it. You can even use microwave for doing it, but I like to do it naturally rather than using microwave as it sometimes overheats it.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
1. Start by making the stuffing ready first. Take a kadai, add oil to it and let it heat.
2. Add jeera to it. Now add all the vegetables with pinch of turmeric to it.
3. Add red chilli powder, mix it and let it cook for few minutes covered on medium flame.
4. Now add garam masala, chat masala and salt to taste and mix it. once the vegetables are cooked switch off the stove. Do not overcook the curry.
5. Now the stuffing is ready lets make the puffs ready. there will be two big sheets in each puff pastry and we can make 9 puffs for each sheet. Cut the sheet into 9 by using a pizza cutter or knife.
6. Now sprinkle little maida or roti flour and make them a little bigger to stuff the curry properly using belan. Do not press harder or make the sheet thin, as it would reduce the puffiness by overpressing it.
7. Add curry to middle of the sheet and press all the sides with little water.
8. Arrange all the curry puffs in oven safe tray. Arrange them with little gap in between puffs so they have enough roof to get puffed up.
9. Bake the puffs for 20 minutes or till you see they are done by observing the color of the puffs turning slightly golden brown.
Remove the puffs from baking and serve hot with any ketchup or chutney.