Friday, June 25, 2010

Tindora with vellipayakaram


I had this vellipaya kaaram which my mom brought last year. But it became very hard that I cannot add it in the rice and eat it. So I remembered somebody saying to me that, hotel people generally add vellipaya kaaram to get nice spicy and tasty tindora fry curry when they offer in buffet or catering. I just tried to follow it in my own way. Since my vellipaya kaaram was hard as rock I did put it in water and microwaved it for 30 seconds then I had to   try to soften it by hand so that it becomes dissolved and form liquid. For others, I would recommend you can add the vellipaya kaaram directly or if you want can add a little water to it, after adding vellipaya kaaram to the curry. So here is how I made it:

Ingredients
Tindora - 1 packet frozen (use fresh if you have, its less time to cook and tastes better with fresh than frozen)
Vellipaya kaaram - 2 big table spoons
Cumin seeds - 1 tea spoon
Oil - 3-5 table spoons (depends on quantity of tindora)
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder


Method of preparation
1. Take a kadai add oil to it.After oil is heated add cumin seeds. Add Onions and tindora at the same time one after other.

2. Now cover and cook for a minute. Now add salt to it and then cook until the tindora is almost done. Stir in between as there are chances that the onion is going to burn off, if you do not keep an eye on it.

3. At last Add the red chilli powder (if desired) and water which has vellipaya kaaram(you can add just vellipaya kaaram only). Stir it nicely so that it gets coated to all the tindora and until the water is evoparated.
Your curry is ready to serve.

Terminology
Tindora - Dondakaya (telugu)
Cumin Seeds - Jeelakarra(telugu), Jeera (hindi)
Vellipaya Kaaram - Powder made with garlic pods. will post the recipe of my mom soon. You can get it in stores also. Tastes good and spicy. People who love the taste of garlic will love this.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails