Mamidikaya Pulihora is special for Ugadi(Telugu New Year). The following is recipe for it. It is simple, easy and fast to make and tasty to eat.
Ingredients: (For two persons)
Rice - 1 cup
Mango - 1
Oil - 4-5 table spoons (or enough to fry the following)
Mustard seeds - 1 table spoon
Cumin seeds - 1 table spoon
Chana Dal - 2-3 table spoons
Peanuts - 50 grams
Asafoetida - a pinch of powder
Turmeric - 1 small tablespoon or a pinch of it for colour
Green Chillies - 5-7 in number (Can add more if Spicy is preferred)
Red Chillies - depending upon taste (if required)
Method of Preparation:
Cook the rice seperately as you do regularly. Peel the skin of mango and grate it using a grater. keep it aside. Take a pan/vessel and heat oil in it. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds. Allow mustard seeds to splutter and then add Asafoetida, chana dal, green chillies, red chillies(if needed), turmeric and fry for few seconds or until all the above items are fried a little bit. then add the grated mango into it. mix it for a minute or two and remove it from stove. Add salt to the above mixture.
Spread rice in a bowl or which ever you feel conveniant and spread the above mixture on it. Mix the rice and mixture with hand or spoon. Your Mamidikaya Pulihora is ready.
1. Using the old fashioned grater is good rather than the grater of food processor. Shall post the picture of it soon for an idea.
2. You can use any rice but the rice should be seperated(phool phool laga undali).We can get that quality if we use Sona Masoori rice or Basmati rice.
3. The Mango used for this should be raw and sour. You can get this mango's in Indian Stores.
4. Red chillies are not needed but it depends on your taste.
5. Shall post some pictures soon.
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes at Max(Excluding cooking rice)
Category: Main Coarse (Rice Variety)