Saturday, April 22, 2006
Tomato Rasam # 1
Tomato Rasam is a famous South Indian variety. There are 2-4 different varieties of ways in which Rasam can be done. One of them is given below. Will post the rest soon.
Tomato - 1/2
Tomato Paste - 1 Table spoon
Oil - 1-2 Table spoons
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 Table spoon
Jeera(Cumin Seeds) - 1/2 Table Spoon
Red Chillies - 2-3
Asafoetida - a pinch
Chana Dal - 1 Table spoons
Turmeric - 1/4 Table Spoon
Chilli Powder - 1/2 Table spoon
Garlic Cloves - 3-4
Rasam Powder - 1-2 Table spoons (depending on quantity)
Salt to Taste
Tamarind - small piece
Method of Preparation:
1. Soak tamarind in water for 1/2 hour or soak in water and microwave for 30 seconds.Remove the pulp/puree from it.
2. Take a kadai or vessel add oil to it. Let the oil heat.
3. Add Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Asafoetida, Red Chillies, Chana Dal and chopped garlic cloves to it.
4. After garlic turns a little brown add chopped tomato and tomato paste to it.
5. To this mixture add rasam powder, chilli powder and salt.
6. let the tomatos cook for some time. Add the tamarind pulp and water to liquify. garnish with little coriander and your rasam is ready.
Tomato Rasam goes well with Plain dal and Rice.
1. People who dont like garlic can avoid garlic.
2. Adding curry leaves in tadka gives it nice flavor too.
3. Adding tomato paste to the rasam, gives it nice color and taste.
Labels: Side Dishes